The Happyish Homestead

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Halloween and What’s New in the Living Room

I know, I know.

It’s been ages.

And by ages, I mean a month.

Since a lot of you have had any idea what’s happening over here.

There just hasn’t been a lot to say.

I got one Christmas present sewn.

Got caught up on “The Paradise”.

Read The Princess Bride, spoiler alert: it’s just.like.the.movie.

Cleaned out my garden.

And winterized my bees.

Pret.ty exciting stuff over here.

But,

in case you’ve been dying to see pictures of my cute family dressed up for Halloween, which was over two weeks ago, here are some pictures:

DSC00964

Bumble Bee

DSC00968

Police Officer, which actually has a hat and pants, but when you’re three….

DSC00969

Egyptian Princess

DSC00975

Tea Party Girl

DSC00980

The whole family.  Bennett was dressed up as a pant less orphan boy.

a.k.a. baby number five

DSC00982

Bob and Helen Parr

DSC01024-001

And this is Bennett in a vintage Oregon Duck outfit that I put on him for a Saturday game day. 

So funny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally made some covers for some down filled pillow forms I had picked up this summer.  The green fabric my friend gave me and I was waiting for the perfect project.  I picked up the white pom poms in Ohio.  And the glasses pillow idea I stole from another friend.

DSC01025-001

And we put in a wood burning stove.

Which I thought I would hate.

Like loathe.

Mainly because they are u-g-l-y. 

And energy efficient.

And a big black box.

In the middle of a decent looking living room.

But it turns out I love it.

Most of the time one of the kids have pulled the little rocking chair in front of it and can be seen reading a book or looking at the flames.

And that is pretty tender to watch.

I’m still figuring out how to make the wood and kindling look more attractive.

And less messy.

I have an enamel coffee pot that I need to find the lid for so I can keep it on the stove with water for hot chocolate on cold mornings.

DSC01026-001

And truth be told, it’s making me kinda lazy.

It’s just so easy to sit down and read a magazine when the fire is so welcoming and toasty.

DSC01027-001

And here’s a picture of this fun boy from breakfast this morning. 

He’s taking more and more steps.

And he’s also becoming more and more content.

Which means I could sit down and right this post.

DSC01029-001

Hope you’re having a good week.

Katie

7 comments:

  1. I may have gasped in horror at your calling wood burning stoves "ugly". Glad it's grown on you at least ;)
    THANKS FOR POSTING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE our wood burning stove and am currently trying to convince Jotham to put another one in the north end of the house so I can enjoy my craft room in the winter months when its freezing over the garage. And no it doesn't look bad at all! Loved all the pictures of your family, your costumes were Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair! And your costumes are all darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great costumes...always fun to read your blog! I like the look of the fireplace and you are going to love, love, love it as the days get cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a wood burning stove. Such a warm heat. In our old house we had one and there was always a pot of water on it. I think a wood burning stove is a dry heat so the pit of water meant to put moisture back in the air. I could tell a huge difference when it ran out of water.

    And I loved princess bride!

    ReplyDelete

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....