The Happyish Homestead

Friday, August 22, 2014

Tomato Soup And Fresh Peach Pie

This tomato soup came from Bryce’s cousin’s wife’s mom.

I never remember the exact quantities when I’m at the grocery store, so mine isn’t always ‘by the book’.

Canned Tomato Soup

1/2 bushel tomatoes (30 little)

4 onions

1 celery bundle

2 green peppers

Cook for 1 hour, then strain.

In a smaller, separate pan combine:

1 cube butter

1/2 C flour

Mix together then add 2 C soup

Pour into pot of soup with 1/4 C salt and 1 C sugar

Return to boiling, and cook till slightly thickened.

When I made mine on Thursday I had two enormous pots of skinned tomatoes.  I added 11 little onions, 4 green peppers and 2 celery bundles.  I made a roué with 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of flour and added 4 cups of soup, then added 1/2 c of salt and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  I like my soup a little thicker, so I let it cook down a little bit more before I make the roué.

If canning, process for 10 minutes in water bath.

Peach Glace Pie

1 Baked Pastry Shell

6 cups sliced, peeled peaches

2/3 C sugar

2 T corn starch

For glaze, in a blender combine 1 C peaches and 2/3 C water.  Cover and blend till smooth.  Add enough additional water to make 1 1/2 cups.  In medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, stir in blended peach mixture.  Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly.  Cook and stir two minutes more.  Cool 10 minutes without stirring.

Spread 1/4 C of glaze over bottom and sides of baked pastry shell.  Arrange 1/2 of peaches in pastry.

Carefully spoon 1/2 of the remaining glaze over peaches, covering all peaches.  Arrange remaining peaches over first layer.  Spoon remaining glaze over peaches, covering all.  Chill 1 – 2 hours.  (After 2 hours, filling may begin to water out.)

Serve with whipped cream!

(Can also substitute peaches for six cups medium fresh strawberries.)

Have a good weekend!

Katie

SAM_2915

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....