The Happyish Homestead

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Menu Day 2

I think food is complicated.

And how I feel about it, contradictory.

I make my pancakes from scratch, but if I’m lazy, I serve it with a gallon size thing of syrup from Costco.

I have free range chickens, but serve my kids crackers {which are totally processed} daily.

I have a vegetable garden that was probably the size of our yard in our last house, but I serve meat for almost every dinner.

My kids have sugar cereal two to three times a week, but I can’t remember the last time I bought a refrigerated pie crust.

So, who knows?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scratch pancakes

1 C sour milk

{1 T lemon juice adding enough milk for one cup total}

1 egg

2 T vegetable oil

Combine

1 C flour

1 T sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

Combine

Add wet ingredients to dry ones.

We have pancakes once a week.

And lately, Adeline’s the one who’s been making them.

{If we’re being honest,

it’s a little touch and go on the pouring and flipping aspect,

and making sure all the flour is incorporated,

and whether or not the oil gets remembered, but for the most part….not too bad.}

DSC03981

And homemade Chinese.

I love Asian food.

Specifically, I love to go out for Chinese food.

Just Bryce and me, no kids.

Romantic, no?

But, that’s rarely in the budget, so, homemade it is.

Just Bryce and me

and all the kids

where it took 45 minutes to prepare

12 minutes to consume

and 105 minutes to clean up.

But, at least we’re not embarrassed by the straw wrappers, chopsticks and noodles left under the table of the restaurant when we’re done, right?

Right.

I have a friend who is from Japan so when I call her up asking what mirin is thinking it’s a brown, exotic, fragrant spice and realize it’s a sweet alcohol, I realize I have a lot to learn.

Sesame chicken, noodles with cabbage, and edamame.

I cook my noodles, drain them, spread them out on a oiled skillet and cook them with some cabbage and add the sauce before serving.

Noodles are great because they’re cheap.

And easy

and cheap.

DSC03978

 

DSC03979

Here are some links to other Asian-esk type foods I’ve tried and liked:

Broccoli and beef stir fry, reduce the amount of soy sauce to about 1/4 C.

Beef udon noodles, the grocery store here carries them fresh in the little ethnic section by the fresh veggies.

Egg rolls

Dipping sauce for egg rolls

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....