The Happyish Homestead

Monday, April 18, 2016

Menu Day 4

French toast, once a week.

I use cheap white bread.

I use frozen bread and then it doesn’t get soggy.

And I make it with just eggs.

DSC04003

 

DSC04004

Snack

Most days for snack it’s: crackers, fruit/vegetable, and some sort of treat like a cookie or if it’s getting close to the end of the month, like five chocolate chips.

Other times it’s broiled bread with cinnamon and sugar.

Milk with graham crackers.

Hard boiled eggs with salt.

But I had made these oatmeal muffins and had some frozen berries, so, smoothies and muffins.

OK, I think these are the best muffins hands down.

The link is only accessible if you’re a member of America’s Test Kitchen, and I guess I no longer am since I can’t access it and use the link.

However, I have the recipe copied, so if you’re interested, let me know, and I would be thrilled to find time to post it.

Or something to that affect.

Let’s talk for a minute about American’s Test Kitchen. It’s a PBS show and it’s a little addicting. 

My friend gave me their DIY book when she came to visit and it is so fun. 

Guys, I’ve made my own marshmallows.

So look them up if you get the chance.

The current season of recipes is always free.

DSC04467

 

DSC04468

And lasagna...

You know those things in life that are really important to you?

And you spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on?

So you can get it just right?

Like service

or parenting

or lawn care

or dog breeding?

For me, it’s lasagna and fried chicken.

So, in my quest to make the best lasagna possible, I’ve learned to make my own ricotta cheese.

I’m telling you, it makes a difference.

I will make things at home if it’s cheaper and/or tastes better.

Almost always it’s cheaper.

And it generally tastes better.

{With the exception of the homemade Ritz crackers I attempted during one point of crazy.}

Ricotta cheese is just salted whole milk you warm on the stove top, add some acid like lemon juice and vinegar, which causes the whey to separate, you strain it and refrigerate it and now you have ricotta cheese.

See how easy that was?

{You’ve probably made some in the time it took to read that.}

Anyway, there’s a lot of online sources if you want to Google it.

Again, if there’s any interest, I’d be happy to post the recipe I use.

I also give a cup full to my neighbor each time I make it and she’s says it’s delicious with a little jam.

Oh, and I use Italian sausage instead of ground beef.

Add some tomato/spaghettis sauce.

Mix some parmesan and mozzarella cheese with your ricotta cheese, add an egg and some basil salt and pepper.

Pre- cook your noodles.

Layer it up.

DSC04461

I hope you had a nice weekend.

My kids made mud pies and I went junking through my neighbor’s out buildings as they are downsizing.

So, now I have two ice cream makers and have a feeling that an ice cream social is in the near future.

Katie

1 comment:

  1. I made lasagna for last night's dinner...next time I think I'll make the ricotta cheese too...thanks for the tip. When I do lasagna I like to mix cottage cheese with the ricotta and this time I mixed in basil and oregano with it. I love how that turned out. We're having left overs tonight and I'm looking forward to it!
    I'm so sorry I couldn't introduce you to my company but she did meet a couple of your kids.
    This time with her was packed but fun.

    ReplyDelete

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....