The Happyish Homestead

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A True Story about Real Chickens

I love our chickens.

They're super fun to have around and I like watching them waddling around the yard scratching and eating bugs.

But, they're also kind of s-t-u-p-i-d.

Our chicken coop is about seven feet tall, which, if you do the math, is two feet higher than me.

And our chickens are free range. Which means that they are free to roam around during the day, but then come back to the coop to roost in the evening.

Until one night they decided that they didn't want to do that.

They wanted to roost on TOP of the chicken coop.

Stupid birds.

Now I'm out there, and it's pitch black, did I mention? scraping them off with a 2 by 4 and it's like their feet are cemented in place.

Then I go in and retrieve the ladder, climb precariously up and have to manually remove them from their post.

They got locked in for the night....and for three consecutive days.

The girls wanted to know why they couldn't come out and play.

I told them the chickens were in time-out.

Why, the girls asked.

Well, why do you have to take time-outs?

For not listening.

There you go.

I'm an equal opportunity parent.

Rules are rules around here, and you're expected to obey, no matter the breed.

Katie

3 comments:

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....