The Happyish Homestead

Monday, March 22, 2010

#1


I don't know how the rest of you work, but Bryce and I often talk in code about our children. We try not to let the kids know how great they are. We use numbers, and when they all figure that out, we're going to use Roman numerals.

#1 had a secret for me the other day, and I couldn't tell Dad....or Meg....or Adeline, in that order.

#1: Mom, you can't tell Dad.

Me: Got it.

#1: I was thinking about having a singing party.

(Side note, we have, on occasion, had dance parties on Sunday evenings.....when it is cold and dark outside.)

Me: Good idea.

#1: We could invite Dad and Meg and Adeline.

Me: O.k.

#1: But Dad can't sing, because he's not such a great singer.

Me: Oh really? I hadn't noticed.

#1: He and Meg can dance while the rest of us girls sing. The rest of us can sing great.

Me: Mm-hm.
#1: Because I'm a ROCK STAR!
I have to admit, I'm not great at keeping secrets of this caliber and I told Bryce when he got home. He took the news of his sub-par singing talents quite well. In my defense, I did not tell Meg and Adeline.
To all you Rock Stars out there,
Katie
P.S. I am going on vacation for the next two weeks, so my posts won't be as frequent....hope you all survive with out me.
P.P.S. If you see or talk to one of my children, don't tell them we're going on vacation, I don't plan on telling them till 20 minutes before departure.

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome! We totally number our kids, but our #1 has figured it out. Good idea on the roman numerals, clever lady! ;)

    Where are you going on vacation? Are you flying solo, or is Bryce sneaking away? I'm impressed you give 20 minute notice. I give none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. were are you going? Hoep you have fun wherever it may be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I can survive with out the frequent posts! I guess I'll have to learn to deal with it.
    Do you ever just watch your kids and wonder what they are going to be when they grow up? I think Elizabeth (I assume she is #1) is going to be something great!
    Have a great vacation. I am a little jealous, but I know you deserve it. Have a great time with the kiddos.
    P.S. I saw that you have The Lovely Bones on your goodreads, have you read The Glass House? That one is pretty good! I really liked The Lovely Bones, sadly :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also use the number thing! Funny :) Kelly really wants me to learn to speak Korean, so we can keep the code going through the teenage years. I don't think Korean is the thing for me though. You see, I'm not really the sharpest tool in the shed :) Maybe German or Spanish! I am guessing you are going to LV or Eugene for your vacation. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also give 20 minutes notice...don't you HATE those relatives that give 7 days notice to YOUR kids!? "when is it time to go!?" grrrrrrr......

    ReplyDelete

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....