The Happyish Homestead

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Personal Journal Entry

I just got called out.

I posted on Facebook something to the effect that the day was not going well with me and the kids.

Two people questioned my interest in being a mother, family members at that.

And it really hurt my feelings. Like almost called Bryce and cried to him.

I try really hard not to judge other people or say things about how they choose to live their lives.

I LOVE being a mother.

But that doesn't mean that each day with my children is perfect.

I try to post things that are 'real' about how life really is right now.

And I have a lot of hard days.

I have four kids under the age of six.

I chose that path.

I feel very blessed that I have the opportunity to raise my own children.

But it's still hard.

Every night I give thanks for the blessings that I have.....although those feelings don't always make it out to the viral world.

Plus, that stuff isn't entertaining.

For instance, if I were to post a story about how I went to the bathroom to read a magazine and no one once saw my white be-hind, it would not make anyone laugh or make their day.

They couldn't say to themselves 'I'm having a really rough day, but at least I haven't accidentally mooned anyone in awhile'.

Plus, in some ways, I consider myself a writer, and in that profession (that term is used loosely) the truth is often exaggerated.

But I am grateful, deeply grateful, for those kids I can call mine.

I'm thankful:


  • that Meg came and snuggled in bed with me this morning

  • that Elizabeth is home for the summer

  • that Elizabeth and Adeline are playing together non stop

  • that Elizabeth is really enjoying reading

  • that Spencer is cooing a lot and smiles when I kiss his soft cheeks

  • that the weather has been nice and the girls have cute swimsuit tan lines

  • that Meg loves to follow her sisters around

  • that the girl's feel sad if no one says 'I forgive you' after an apology

  • that the girls try really, really hard to be obedient at night time, but that the temptation to play with each other and have fun is too great

  • that everyone loves to hold sweet Spencer

  • that Elizabeth still likes to hold my hand

  • that Adeline is Meg's favorite person

  • that the girls love Taylor Swift, I know she's a polarizing artist, but she's a good role model for girls

  • that my girls love the movie Singing in the Rain

  • that the girls think going to Taco Bell and getting $.89 cheesy roll-ups is a big deal

  • that the kids are loving and forgiving of a mom who is imperfect but trys her best everyday

Thanks for listening.


Katie

5 comments:

  1. Sorry that some people were being rude and inappropriate. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I have those days pretty much everyday, and it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. I thoroughly enjoy hearing about the times things don't go quite as planned on your end, and I totally get that you can love your kids and despise them at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on so many levels. Also having four...7 and under, I feel your pain. And I laugh right along with you. I'm grateful that not everyone has perfect little angel children, 100% of the time. Mine are far from it. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haters can't do anything but hate. Don't worry, people with true love in their hearts know who you are and what you're doing and recognize the love you have for your kids. Keep doing what you do because you're good at it, your kids admire you for it, and God is grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie Bell you are a TERRIFIC MOTHER!! You are rising and successful in your endeavors!! I think you should wear a super cape....and a princess crown!! Yep!! You should also go get your nails done--you've earned!!

    ReplyDelete

You're a valued reader, thanks for your comments, they help keep me sane....